St. Alexander Nevsky church was established in 1936 with the blessing of the then ruling Archbishop Vitaly (Maksimenko) and has since remained under the auspices of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, with its headquarters in New York. We are part of the New Jersey Deanery within the Eastern American Diocese.
Our address is:
St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
200 Alexander Avenue
Howell, NJ 07731
We are located in Monmouth County on State Highway 9 North, one-half mile north of the border line with Ocean County.
The NewYork-Lakewood public transit buses stop directly in front of the church.
Our property consists of 7 buildings: the cathedral, including the bookstore; the original church; parish center complex, including the library and school; the rectory; assistant priest's residence; caretaker's residence and the workshop, all situated on a 12-acre wooded estate at the intersection of Alexander Avenue and Route 9.
Our permanent personnel include the rector, assistant priest, deacon, choir director and caretaker. The teaching staff administers the parish school. The Church council, the Sisterhood and the Benevolent Foundation are the support groups for the management and welfare of the parish.
In 2011, the parish celebrated its 75th anniversary of service to the Orthodox community.